Friday, January 23, 2009

Silence and Epiphany

To those who follow this blog - my profound apologies for my silence of late. There are three reasons for this.

1. I'm still getting used to this blogging thing.

2. Coming from my angle of lectionary analysis, Epiphany is a pretty simple season. We progress from the synoptic Baptism to the synoptic Transfiguration, giving the Gospel of John time on Epiphany 2 to comment on the beginnings of Jesus' ministry. All the while, the epistle focuses on the letters to the Corinthians, priveleging 1st Cor over 2nd Cor. The relationship between the epistles and the Gospels are minor at best, though usually workable, as I tried to show in my last post.

3. Most of my work in matters pertaining to the lectionary of late have focused upon expanding and refining my database, particularly in the area of creating a comprehensive list of texts omitted from the lectionary altogether. Dry, dull, methodical, and tedious - like most of the fundamental work that goes into this project - it's reward comes in unexpected gems of information I would have never predicted, like this selected list of books that never appear in the 3 year lectionary: Ruth, Esther, Ezra, Obadiah, Jude, 2 John, and 3 John

I'll resume blogging soon, with a turn towards Lent, as planning for this preaching intensive season begins.

No comments: